What does Error 484 mean, or why do I get a message about getting printer information from the system?
There are a few reasons this can happen:
- Your printer may not be turned on. Physically switch the printer on.
- Your printer may be jammed or out of paper. Double-check and remove any jammed paper.
- You may not have a default printer installed or selected.
- First, check your printer control panel:
Once in the control panel:
- In Windows XP, go to Start > Printers and Faxes.
- In Windows Vista and 7, Go to Start > Control Panel > Printers.
- In Windows 8, Right-click at the very bottom left hand corner of the computer screen, and then left-click on Control Panel. In the Control panel window, click Hardware and Sound, then Devices and Printers.
Re-start the computer, and try printing again.
- If there is a printer listed, but it does not have a check-mark next to it, right-click on the printer, and then select the option to set the printer as a default.
- If there is no printer listed, click the Add a Printer button near the top of the window, and then follow the steps from Windows to install a printer.
If the computer will not normally be connected to a printer, you may wish to download and install a .pdf printer.
An online seach for Free PDF Printer will turn up many results. While we are not affiliated with any of these software makers, some of the support team members have made use of the following PDF printers over the years: CutePDF, PDF 995, Bullzip, and primo pdf. To date, all of the mentioned software is free. Some versions will include an ad window that appears, others do not. Despite some of the differences, they all have the same end effect; after installing them, you are able to choose a pdf printer, and have your files saved as a .pdf file. Whichever one you choose, make sure to read and follow the steps to set up the .pdf software; we do not offer technical support on outside software.